Regular check-ups and cleanings are essential to a healthy smile. Our office recommends a check-up exam twice per year and a professional cleaning at least twice if not more per year depending on each patient’s specific needs. Regular check-ups and cleanings help to detect problems such as cavities and gum disease and are also important for making sure that existing dental work continues to function well and is in good condition. A healthy, clean mouth is important for a healthy body.
A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by your dentist at your initial dental visit. At regular check-up exams, your dentist and hygienist will include the following:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Professional dental cleanings are performed by Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for sometime and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface above and below the gum line.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film of living bacteria that forms on teeth. This bacteria inflames the gums and leads to periodontal disease!
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.